Macro Insect Photos

11:12 AM

I recently went on a walk in a local conservation area. I had with me my camera and a macro lens. Here are a couple of the photos I took of some interesting insects I found:



Spotted Thyris (Thyris maculata) from the family Thyrididae or Window-Wing Moths. This particular moth is a micromoth that develops on clematis vines. It is difficult to tell just how small this moth, but it would fit comfortably on a pinky finger nail.



Virginia Ctenucha (Ctenucha virginica) from the subfamily Ctenuchinae or Wasp Moths. I saw a bunch of these fairly common Wasp Moths drinking the nectar from the flowers on some milkweed plants.



Virginia Ctenucha (Ctenucha virginica)



An Ebony Jewelwing (Calopteryx maculata) from the family Calopterygidae or Broad-Winged Damselflies. These damselflies favour streams, which is where I found this one and several others.

Good birding and bugging!

~ Kristen Martyn

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe