Hummingbird Update

6:40 PM

In follow up to my post on April 17, 2011 'Attracting Hummingbirds to Your Yard', the first Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) showed up in my backyard on May 9, 2011. My friend Jenn and I were in the backyard enjoying the sunny weather and some backyard birds, I stepped inside the house for a moment, only to hear from Jenn that a hummingbird was in the yard while I was in the house! So I didn't get to see it, but I'm glad Jenn did. Jenn mentioned it was a male hummer with beautiful red gorget. I hope he stays around for the summer!

As an aside I also had 2 Trumpeter Swans (Cygnus buccinators) fly over my backyard yesterday and a Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) in the backyard last week. This morning I added a new bird to my backyard bird list, a Black-and-White Warbler (Mniotilta varia) was singing early this morning, bringing my backyard list up to 78 species.

Good Birding!

~ Kristen Martyn

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe