Early Spring Through Photographs

7:01 PM

Like many other nature lovers, one of my hobbies is nature photography. I find that one of the challenges of nature photography is trying to capture something large. For example, although I have travelled to the rainforest several times, it has been a challenge to illustrate the experience through photographs. How does the photographer capture the essence of the rainforeast with photos that transmit to the viewer the experience of its awesome reality? More recently I was thinking about this in terms of the experience of 'Spring'. How do you capture Spring in photographs?

What I have learned from my experimentation with photography is that sharing experiences that are large and complex it is most effectively done by focusing on the smallest details. Leaves, bark, flowers and insects are all examples of what I mean. Today I set out in my neighbourhood to try and capture photos that represent Spring and here is what I came up with:


Crocus flowering.



Crocus in the garden.



Black-Capped Chickadee



Queen Anne's Lace stem.



Snow drops.



American Robin.



Scilla almost ready to flower.



Tree lichens.



Male Red-Winged Blackbird.



Gall from last year.



Mother goose on nest.



Tree bud.

Early Spring is really about the contrast between old and new. The new buds, flowers and animal life contrasting with the stems, seed pods and a host of other remnants from last year's life cycle. This interesting contrast, provides many exciting photo opportunities.

Happy Spring!

~ Kristen Martyn


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe